Halitosis is the medical name of bad breath. It affects 25 to 50% of the population. Its prevalence increases with age and men tend to be three times more affected by it than women. Halitosis is caused by the presence of specific bacteria in the oral cavity, which cause odor by degrading proteins. Bad breath comes from the oral area in 90% of cases.
Halitosis is favored by local causes in 90% of cases:
- An insufficient oral hygiene
- Dental problems: gingivitis, periodontitis, canker sores, dental abscess, dental cavities or dry mouth.
- Faulty or inappropriate dental reconstructions
And by global causes in 10% of cases:
- Excessive consumption of certain food such as coffee, garlic, onion, spicy dishes, cheese or deli meats
- Life habits: consumption of tobacco, alcohol or drugs
- Health problems: certain illnesses, stress and/or the use of certain medicines